Thursday, March 05, 2009

Post-panic

OK, so things aren't quite as dire as they seemed last Saturday. Mr Wonderful chatted with his supervisor at work on Monday and discovered that I could be added to his insurance as a "domestic partner." It won't be free, but it will be MUCH cheaper than COBRA and it doesn't require us getting married immediately.

So now our plan is to wait three weeks and if I don't have a new job by then, we will schedule the wedding for sometime in May. My dress is coming in within the next few weeks, but Mr Wonderful wants to wait until he's able to get the rest of his outfit (sporran, jacket, dagger, what-have-you) at the Scottish Games in Woodland in late April. We won't be getting married at a winery with fancy catering, of course, but we can get married in a park on a sunny Saturday and have all of our friends and family there. And we can have a potluck BBQ "reception" at the house afterwards (probably on Sunday).

And of course, if I get a new job within the next couple of weeks, we can still have the wedding in October as planned. But this way we've got an alternative solution that we can pull together quickly, while still preserving some of the things that were most important to us.

In the meantime, be sure to let me know if you hear of any available web developer positions! I'm scouring the interwebs, but the more eyes & ears on the lookout, the better. :)

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Super! Always good to have a plan, and a backup plan! Exciting for you!

Coralynn said...

yeah, but you better check on deadlines as you're often required to initiate the coverage level change within 30 days of the qualifying event-- which would be your loss of coverage date. AND you don't want to have a gap in coverage for more than 63 days if you have a pre-existing condition.

you just need to ask, you know! it's what i do. :P