Thursday, September 08, 2005

My doctor

Look, I really like my doctor. I do. He's very thorough; he keeps track of what's going on and doesn't let shit slip through the cracks. He's not stingy with prescriptions if I need 'em.

But he runs SO far behind. Like, hours behind. If I have an appointment for 10 AM or later, I can guarantee that I'll be there for three hours; two of those hours spent in the freezing waiting room.

This morning I had a follow-up appointment at 8:30 AM. Just a "quick" appointment so I could give him my blood pressure record (kept track of over the last two weeks) and he could give up and put me back on HCTZ. So after about 5-10 minutes in the waiting room, they called me back. I thought, "Cool, I got right in. I'll be at my desk by 9:15". Forty-five minutes later, I was still waiting to see the doctor, but in the freezing exam room instead of the freezing waiting room. FINALLY at 9:30, the doctor came in. I was seriously pissed. I mean, at 8:30 in the morning he was already an hour behind schedule? What the HELL?

Anyway, as I predicted...back on HCTZ. I suppose at 31, with intermimittent blood pressure issues over the last five years, it's time for me to finally acknowledge the fact that I will be on medication for the rest of my life. It's not awful stuff, I mean, it doesn't have horrible side effects or anything, but it just sucks that I'll be popping pills for the rest of my life. Why does this bother me? I've been taking birth control almost continuously for the last fifteen years. Another tiny little pill shouldn't be a big deal. I guess I just don't like the idea that I'm getting old. No, 31 isn't old. But high blood pressure? That's pretty much an old person's disease.

No comments: