Friday, June 01, 2007

Commitment

D and I had a funny conversation the other day - he was telling me about his birthday, and how his family always celebrates it on Thanksgiving (his b'day is Nov 24th), whether it falls on Thanksgiving or not. He said it always pissed him off, and he'd ask them to celebrate it separately, but they always refused. I said, "Awww. Well, I promise to always celebrate your birthday ON your birthday." And he said something like, "Wow, that's quite a commitment. Are you sure you want to say that?" So I backtracked a little and said that I'd do it for "as long as we're together." He laughed, and was all, "Ohhhh...as long as we're together. I see." And then I had to amend my statement again, and assure him that I am planning to be around for a long, long time: "Or, you know, until we're both shriveled and senile, sitting on the porch in our rocking chairs." So he said, "You want to be shriveled with me?" and of course I said yes.

I mean, what kind of conversation is this? I thought we were totally past this; I know he is thinking long-term and I know he knows I am thinking long-term, so...why the surprise? Was he just joking around, trying to get a rise out of me? Or is he trying to get reassurance that I am thinking of this as a long-term thing? Could he be in any doubt over my feelings and intentions here? Because I think I've been pretty clear: I don't want to rush things, but I am committed to this. I love him, and I want to be with him. Maybe forever. But at least for a really, really long time. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

No comments: