Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Major changes?

Babydaddy and I had a discussion last night, and we're considering putting Rugrat in school in WC, where Babydaddy lives, for the next school year. It would be a really big change for us; Rugrat would live with Babydaddy most of the time and I'd go out to pick him up a couple of times per week and every other weekend (essentially the same schedule we have now, but reversed). We'd have to look into karate classes out in WC instead of here, and we'd have to get him set up in daycare and GATE out there too.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On the one hand, I'd kind of like to get Rugrat out of here because the situation in my town is getting more violent and volatile by the week, it seems. There's gangs of teenagers roaming the streets, starting riots and shooting each other. I definitely don't want Rugrat going to school out here when he gets to Jr High. But he's only going into third grade, and it seems like we've got some time before we really need to get him out of here. Additionally, we were considering taking him OUT of daycare next year, and just letting him come straight home after school. It would save us $200+ a month, each, which would be a nice chunk of change to have back in our pockets. That wouldn't be possible if Rugrat was going to school near Babydaddy, because Babydaddy doesn't work from home.

Also, I just don't know how I'd feel about him living apart from me so much. I was kind of resistant to changing our schedule when Babydaddy first moved to WC, but I actually like it now (especially since I get that all-important night off during the week to spend with D). And I think I'd really miss Rugrat a lot if he was spending most nights with Babydaddy. I'd miss our silly songs in the morning while we're getting ready. I'd miss the hugs and spontaneous "I love you Mommy" moments. I'd miss putting him to bed every night with Monster Spray and our four-language "I love you" routine. I know Babydaddy is a wonderful father and would be totally great with him, but I'd miss him soooooo much.

And the hell of it is, I'd love to sell my house and move out there to WC. But I can't, because nobody is buying houses in my town right now. (See above re: crime wave) If I put the house on the market, it might stay on the market for a year, even if I priced it under comps. And if I was able to finally sell it and move out to WC? I'd probably have to buy a condo rather than an actual house because I'd never be able to afford a real house out there. Especially not with the reduced price of THIS house, and how much I'd likely get out of the sale. It's very frustrating. So I'm kind of leaning towards having him stay in school here for another year or two, at which time the market will hopefully have picked up a bit, and I can sell and move out to WC and we'll be able to work things out a little more equitably with regards to custody sharing and so on.

No comments: